Wednesday 17 December 2008

Version 9.0 and the blog

As I prepare for the imminent OpenInsight 9.0 release, my attention within the blog is moving towards version 9.0 topics and I plan to tackle them in bite sized chunks, punctuated by the usual news items. I have already begun work on:
  • A paper to help reduce the size of your application’s footprint
  • A paper that brings together all of the 7.x, 8.x and 9.0 readme files
  • An updated paper on locking down the new Network User deployment license
  • An examples application, written entirely in 9.0 under Vista
  • An unofficial paper to help configure OECGI2 and use WebOI on a Vista machine running IIS7 (currently needing some testers)

I’m then also hoping to go on to take a look at the Bravo Dashboard, individual cell control in the Edit Table along with other Edit Table enhancements, the brand new System Editor and OIPI.net – including enabling users to enter data into a .pdf document before printing it.

What else would you like covered?

OpenInsight 9.0 is the most exciting release yet and, along with Revelation's White Papers, Quick Start Guides and Tutorials, I hope to help all OpenInsight developers take advantage of the new features provided in OpenInsight version 9.0.

Watch this space… and please don’t forget to use the labels in the blog to bring similar categorised topics together, for example OI9.0, Vista, etc.

6 comments:

  1. mmmh... do you have a release date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be very, very soon. 2nd of January has been suggested, if not before. I'll be announcing it here, so be sure to sign up for the RSS feed, or check back periodically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Information on the edit table changes since 7.0 would be useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned yesterday that David Goddard (RevAus) is working on a white paper dedicated to the Edit Table. I'm hoping to feature that paper on this blog when he has completed it.

    Watch this space ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am interested in a more comprehensive examples application, especially the new 9.0 features. Maybe this should be a community effort? I am an OI novice, experienced AREV and G2B most of what I have learned with OI has been from the current examples app. I am not sure I have much to add to a community effort but it seems there are some very experienced developers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Examples are something that I and Revelation are working on. Version 9.0 comes with an example application for the dashboard and there are quick start guides for WebOI and the dashboard. In addition, David is Australia is currently working on an EditTable white paper covering the new features, etc.

    I also have my new demo application which is now looking pretty nice. It features many of the things in the existing examples application and much more, such as using a .NET wrapper, three different OIPI.net reports, OLE control usage, using the windows explorer to manage images, check boxes in edit tables for selecting rows to delete, plus lots, lots more.

    I now have an NSIS installer configured for the application and it will shortly be made available to developers running version 9.0 and people using the 9.0 evaluation when it is released. I also have documented the technical side of the application and I’ll be happy to give this to anyone that requests it via email.

    Please note that the app was completely written in version 9.0 on my Vista machine and the font issue does remain – if you do not have the Segoe UI installed on your machine, some of the text will overrun buttons and wrap badly.

    Watch out for more in the New Year and also see -http://www.revsoft.co.uk/newsletters/43news.htm#New_Examples_Application.

    ReplyDelete